8 Tips to Hiring a Quality Painting COntractor
Portland Oregon – Vancouver Washington
- The Desperate Painting Contractor. Avoid painting contractors who state that they will beat any estimate. There are several ways to under cut price on a painting project, however, none of them benefit you as the consumer. Cheaper is not better!
- Ensure the painting contractor is well known in your community with a proven track record of client satisfaction. How long have they been in business? Will they be around to back up the guarantee that they promise?
- Ask the painting company for commercial client references. Asking for commercial references ensures they are likely to be real clients. What is their reputation on sites like Google, Yahoo, Bing, Dexknows, Superpages and others?
- Ask for proof that the painting contractor is Licensed, Insured and carries Workers Compensation Insurance. You can easily check licensing status using the following links:Oregon CCB for painting contractors here
Washington State Labor & Industries here
- Verify the painting contractor has at a minimum, $1,000,000 of General Liability Insurance. Request a copy of their General Liability Insurance and Proof of Workers Compensation Insurance. This will verify that the policy is current, valid & up to date. This will also protect you as the property owner.
- Ensure your entire project, and explanation of work to be provided is in a printed contract (one for you & one for the contractor) & signed by both parties.
Insist on top quality, guaranteed products and materials, and get this in writing. Use of inferior products and materials can have detrimental consequences, especially in the wet Northwest environment.
- Never give a contractor a deposit or money up front for any project. Every reputable painting contractor has a credit line at local paint stores, and the capitol to run their businesses daily operations, if they don’t, this is a huge red flag on the health of their business.